You can use the following breathing patterns
Breathing at a Rate of 8 Breaths per Minute (3/2/3)
Feel more relaxed
Relief from stress and increased mental awareness
Parasympathetic nervous system begins to be influenced
Elevates healing processes
4 Breaths per Minute (5/5/5)
Positive shifts in mental function
Intense feelings of awareness, increased visual clarity, and heightened body sensitivity
Pituitary and pineal glands begin to coordinate at an enhanced level, producing a meditative state
1 Breath per Minute (20/20/20)
Optimized cooperation between brain hemispheres
Dramatic calming of anxiety, fear, and worry
Openness to feeling one’s presence and the presence of Spirit
Kino McGregor (6/0/6/0)
Kino counts down from 10 to 0 with 5 breaths per minute. Like "10 in... 10 out... 9 in... 9 out..." until "1 in... 1 out". A very easy way to countdown in 2 minutes. See this video
for example (from 1:00). For a better effect start with 50 :-) (10 minutes)
4-7-8 scheme to fall in sleep in 1 minute (4/7/8)
1. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
2. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
3. Hold your breath for a count of seven.
4. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
5. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths
It's difficult to find good apps (totally configurable) but these two apps suits the bests
iOS: Breath pacer (design not so beautiful though)
Android: Paced Breathing
Sources / links
Wikipedia about Pranayama
Breathaware: trainingsprogram to be aware of your breath
About / Contact
Made by Rene Smit